In this post we are going to show you different options you have when purchasing a new floor product. We will also discuss some of the advantages of each of the presented products.
1. We will start with solid hardwood (people like to call it real hardwood). As the name shows, the solid hardwood flooring is a real wood product, made out of timber, and has the same composition throughout the entire board.
The advantages of solid hardwood are unlimited, from the beauty and the prestige, to the value added to your home.
The real wood floor can be either pre-finished or unfinished. With pre-finished wood, after the installation process is complete, your floor is ready. On the other hand, with unfinished hardwood, the installation needs to be followed by a refinishing process.
2. Another product that is often considered solid hardwood is bamboo flooring. Even though this product is made out of a plant (bamboo) and not timber, some still consider it a solid hardwood because of the similar way it is installed.
If you want to go green with your floors, bamboo is the most accessible option for you. Other positives of bamboo flooring are its beauty and durability.
3. Engineered hardwood floor is another wood product. Some people don’t consider engineered hardwood a real wood product, but engineered wood is made out of wood. The differences between solid and engineered wood are found in the composition, purpose, thickness and price.
Engineered wood is made from layers of wood products, with better wood at the surface and lower quality wood on the bottom.
Engineered hardwood has an advantage over solid wood when it comes to certain areas it can be installed. For instance, solid hardwood floor can never be installed in a basement, so an engineered floor is a great option. Another positive about engineered wood is it can be sanded and refinished once, or even twice, if needed.
4. In recent years, laminate flooring became the best substitute for solid hardwood. The quality has improved a lot, the looks are better and better and the price of it is a selling point when comparing to hardwood flooring.
Laminate flooring is a very good choice if you have kids or pets, being better with scratches than the solid hardwood. On the other hand, laminate flooring is not real wood, it’s harder to replace and cannot be refinished.
5. Tile is another popular floor product. Tile floors have an advantage of being durable, they are the most waterproof floor product. Tile is suggested for areas with water like showers, bathrooms, kitchens or laundry rooms.
Tile can be not only used on floors, but also walls, fireplaces, kitchen, back splashes, counter tops or stairs. They are also a good option for exterior projects because of waterproof durability.
There are several tile products ranging from ceramic, porcelain and natural stone to granite tile and marble.
6. A less expensive substitute for tile flooring is vinyl or linoleum. They have some of the same characteristics as the tile like being waterproof, and easily installed in kitchens, baths, laundry rooms and more.
Recently, the quality has improved a lot, almost imitating to perfection tile products or even hardwood.
7. Another popular floor product is carpet flooring. Carpet flooring is preferred to hard surface products for its softness under your feet.
Years ago, carpet floors were installed throughout the entire house. Nowadays, people limit the use of carpet to bedrooms, stairs or hallways.
8. There are other floor products out there which are raising in popularity. Some of these products are the cork flooring, rubber flooring or simply paint on top of concrete.
For a comparison of the different types of flooring you can read: